Sunday, April 15, 2007

Na zdrowie... Polish cheers from Teresa's

Teresa's
103 1st Ave,New York 10003
Btwn 6th & 7th St
(212)228-0604

My first pierogie ever! (Am I spelling that right??) Even with a Polish stepdad! Oh, yeah, and half-polish husband. Forgot that I now have a Polish last name... DEFINITELY about time I had a pierogie then!

We thought it'd be a good idea to take the parents out for a Polish culinary adventure, something you don't really find in their home in South Florida. Well they fell in love with Teresa's, another suggestion by the husband. We showed up for an early dinner and were seated immediately, though it filled up quickly thereafter. Simple decor, Teresa's does not try to be anything other than a good, traditional Polish restaurant (despite the trendy-appearance of their sign outside). We had the Polish beer they served, and started with potato pancakes and applesauce for the table. Very good, warm and crisp. I tried to eat SLIGHTLY lighter, got a salad with pear, arugula, and smoked turkey, which was good, though HUGE (it could have fed a family of 7).

The men got the "Polish platter", how could you not-- it featured, kielbasa, saurkraut, stuffed cabbage and potato pierogis. I'm not as into the kielbasa and all, but the saurkraut was excellent (much better than any saurkraut I've ever had). My mom's roast duck was caramelized with fruit and it was awesome. I was really impressed with my pierogies though! In addition to the mountain of salad, I got a selection of pierogies to try them out, boiled, with a side of onions, in flavors such as mushroom & saurkraut, cheese, potato, and meat. My fav was the potato, but they were all good. Now I feel like a real Polish wife! ;)

Teresa's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments: