Saturday, March 24, 2007

The 52 Flavors...

No, it's not all about ice cream, I promise.

This collection of food essays is my aim to dive deeply into the delicious variety of flavors on offer in New York City over the next year (that would be the next 52 weeks). In recent years, I've developed a strong affinity and passion for good food and fabulous flavors, which is expressed both through my improving attempts at cooking and through visiting restaurants which serve up fresh flavors that make me swoon, a la Rachel Ray style (see a collection of her swooning clips at: http://naomileibowitz.com/projects/rray/index.html). Living in Europe for nearly four years afforded me the pleasure of weekend trips to Paris and Florence and Rome, where my passion for flavors (or flavours for my European friends) increased exponentially. I still daydream about a particular bruschetta heaping with fresh tomatoes in Cinque Terre, Italy; my first tartufo in Rome; chocolate souffle at L'Epicerie in Paris; onion soup on a cold winter's day..... I could go on and on but I'll pause those thoughts, since this is meant to be about New York City!

So moving to New York is very exciting of course, and there is so much going on that I can't complain about spending a few years here, but I admit that I sometimes miss European life with the emphasis on enjoyment and the ancient architecture and romance of the older cities and languages. So I decided to focus on what I WOULD love most about New York, and I'm not sure any European city (including London, I must now admit!) can compete with NYC in terms of the enormous volume and variety of delicious food and restaurants.

If New York City were a restaurant, it would undoubtedly be an international tapas restaurant, featuring endless different flavors and decadent dishes. Tapas restaurants are my favorite type, I admit, due to their opportunity to sample so many different flavors in one meal. So, this blog is my version of sampling the tapas or flavor collection that is New York City! I propose to try and sample as many restaurants as I can while in New York for a short time. Of course, anyone who has been to New York would agree that you can in NO WAY begin to make a dent in truly "knowing" or tasting ALL the great food of NYC, and I in no way claim that will be possible. But in my own way I hope to try a good mix of flavors and have some fun along the way, both in Manhattan and in Brooklyn (my current place of residence, with many places in walking distance to my apartment, I can't neglect that!).

Good food is memorable, it is flavorful and makes me take note and say wow (or "mmmm" like RRay). It is the utmost celebration of the senses and what life is all about-- soaking up the flavors, experiences, feelings and tastes while we are in this world. I will try to seek out those places and dishes that capture those feelings, whether they be at more upscale or more casual restaurants, and share the experiences with you along the way. I welcome feedback and suggestions. Time to begin the tasting...

No comments: