Saturday, March 24, 2007

The First Flavor... Magnolia, our local favorite

I decided to start my 52 flavor experience with the restaurant nearest and dearest to my heart (and to my apartment-- it's right around the corner!), in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Yes I've been there before, and most of my 52 flavors will be new ones for me, but it's always nice to start off with something special, and Magnolia is definitely that.

Magnolia is located on the corner of 12th Street and 6th Aveneue in Park Slope, in a residential area not too far from Prospect Park. When we first moved to the neighborhood, we spotted it quickly when taking a walk, and noticed that its candlelight and white lights outside at night just seemed to emanate the word "cozy." However we first tried it for their Sunday brunch that they advertise on chalkboard signs when you walk by the outside (not for the candlelit dinners) . For a set price of $8.95 (or $11.95 including a brunch cocktail-- mimosa or bloody mary), you get one of their brunch or lunch specials, their signature "breakfast bread" that I can never get enough of, juice and coffee. We thought that was a great deal for NYC brunch, and became regulars for Sunday brunch here, especially when guests came to town. I particularly enjoy the eggs florentine, and my husband adores their french toast. One day I got "crazy" and DIDN'T order breakfast food but chose a lunch option, the chicken sandwich, and it was DIVINE, with a pesto dressing and delicious focacia... so we decided to try it out for dinner as well!

Once we tried one dinner at Magnolia, we were hooked. And given the proximity to our house, it becomes the standard delicious option to stumble over to time and again! Who needs to go up 5th avenue when you've got Magnolia nearby. They do have a prix fixe weekdays which is a great value, $22 for 3 awesome courses! Whether we do prix fixe or not, we've found that we love almost every dish we try there. For appetizers, their mozzerella and tomato tastes extra fresh and with just the right touch of basil. The cornmeal-crusted calamari, served with "slow-roasted marinara" and "buttermilk tziki" (how can you not order it when you read that) is great, and tastes nice and lighter than other fried calamari. Even the spinach dip is excellent. And the magnolia salad, with the candied pecans, apple and ranch dressing is hard to resist.

How many of their dishes am I allowed to rave about before you get tired of reading??
They have great pizzas, very thin-crusted so a little lighter but great flavor (and pizza and pint specials on Monday nights). Their steaks are extremely memorable, love the hanger steak and the cowboy steak. They often have fabulous specials as well as special occasions. We were there for a great New Year's eve dinner as well as an autumn 7-course dinner and wine tasting that was out of this world. It is the restaurant we ate at the night my husband proposed to me (later on that night), and we decided to pay our respects again last night on our 1-month wedding anniversary.

This is actually restaurant week in Brooklyn, so there was a special prix-fixe last night which I partook in. I had the calamari, which as I said above, was great (I gave my husband the tentacle pieces though I admit.) For my main I had the Penne Romano, which amazed me with its simplicity yet wow-factor! It is what I picture true italian cooking to be like-- simple fresh flavors coming together to make memorable meals. Penne pasta with just a light olive oil sauce tossed with chopped tomatoes, chunks of fresh mozzerella, basil leaves, and toasted pine nuts, with some shredded parmesan on top-- yum!! My husband had a pasta special with shrimp that he enjoyed. For dessert the lemon cake, which was almost more reminiscent of french toast than cake, very good with rich berry sauce. (Next time-- the famous warm chocolate mocha cake!! Had it on our engagement night ages ago, it was amazing.)

Magnolia will always have a special place in our hearts (and tummys!), and I'm sure we'll continue to go there often. In the summer they set tables outside for a nice Sunday brunch along 6th Ave. I still like it best at night with the candlelight going, it strikes the right balance between charming and cozy but not over-the-top or cheesy. The staff are very friendly and most important, the flavors are fresh and fabulous!!! Check out their website at www.magnoliabrooklyn.com.

Magnolia on Urbanspoon

No comments: